About Us

Monday, October 24, 2011

Participate in a 5k - Done


One of my goals this year was to participate and complete a 5k.

So, on a very cold and windy morning, I donned a bright yellow shirt and we, (Mike, my mom, my brother and I), stood huddled at the back of the large line that would start the ScotiaBank 5k portion of the Toronto marathon.

We didn't run, we walked.  Albeit at a fast enough pace that it took us an hour to complete the course.

I was very proud of Mike, who wanted to go a bit faster, but was stuck with us slow people.  What can I say, people will make way for a wheelchair, for the rest of his entourage, not so much!  There were some difficult hilly places and he did it alone.  On occasion I have to help him, but I think he wanted to see if he could do it on his own and he was able to.

Next year, we are going to do it again.  Running?  I don't think so, but definitely walking again.  Now that I have proven to myself that I can do it, its going to be about doing it better and a bit faster.  If they hold the Dog Jog again next year, Gimli and I will enter for the 5k walk.  I did miss walking with this little fluffer, but sometimes you have to do things on your own to prove to yourself that you can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment