About Us

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Castaway Cay 5k

One of the things Mike and I have committed to accomplish in the next year is a 5k and 10k run at one of the RunDisney events.  It's a great goal... except when you're two couch potatoes like us and you have to start training.

I cannot say I've ever liked running.  For me, running was a race among my cousins, it was never long distance running. Perhaps that's why I have to resist the urge to run like a bat out of hell and instead run at a slower pace. Did I ever think I'd be sitting here registered for an actual run? Nope.

All the Disney cruises in the Caribbean stop at Castaway Cay - Disney's private island. Early in the morning on these days, RunDisney sponsors a 5k run/walk on the island. Now, we aren't runners yet, but we signed up anyway in the hopes of beating our last 5k time of roughly 50 minutes of walking.

I won't go into the ins and outs of the time as I'm sure you're not interested.

We learned a few things after this race:

  1. I need better shoes. I have flat feet and I need shoes that provide the support and cushioning to my arches. About halfway through the race, my arches started to hurt. It was so bad, that I ended up limping around for a couple days afterward.
  2. We have a great deal of training to do. I know the RunDisney races for which we signed up allows you to walk, but I don't want to walk it. I want to run it! The only way that's going to happen is if I start running. I downloaded the Couch to 5k app and I'm going to use that as my coach.
  3. I need to focus on me. Forget about everyone else, Mike included, and focus on me. I know I can do this, just as I have done all these other things I never thought I could do. It's all one day at a time, ready, GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment