About Us

Friday, April 1, 2011

I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream

One of the lovely ladies I follow on Twitter and on the BlogRoll is the fantastic Karen Walrond aka Chookooloonks.  True story, I happened upon her blog, maybe 5 years ago(??), because she lived in Trinidad, (where I'm from originally), and at the time and I had Googled about a tsunami hitting the island.  She had written about it as her family had been at the beach that day. I've been hooked on her blog ever since.

She's an amazing photographer, some of her pictures blow me away, an author and an all around lovely person that I'd love to meet and then sit quietly in her presence someday if I ever make it to BlogHer.  She's one of the inspirations for my setting up this blog and my desire to take better pictures.

Yesterday on her blog, she wrote about a silly, (at the time), game she and her friend played to write down all the qualities she wanted in an ideal husband.  Skeptical, she did it but only half following the directions and lo and behold, she found her husband Marcus.

When I read the post his morning, I thought of Mike and I and how we met.

See, a long time ago, when I was a Sophomore in high school, I had the biggest crush on this guy who was a Senior at the time. He had no idea who I was, but I was convinced I was completely in love with him.  It didn't help that I would run into him all over campus, thus fueling my crush.  I should also note I didn't have any boyfriends during high school so this probably added to my liking of this boy.

Around this time, I started having strange dreams.  I should note, I was really into dream interpretation at this time and dream symbols etc.  In my dreams, there was always a man with brown hair and green eyes, but nothing else.  I couldn't remember his name or any facial features or the details of what we did, although in one dream we went to his parent's boat.  Naturally, I was convinced the dreams were about him.  Because after all, he had brown hair too, so it must be!

Time passed and the school year ended, he graduated and that was the last I saw of him.  I moved on.

I still kept those dreams in my head and would think of them once in a while, but they remained just silly dreams.

I got into another relationship, that person looked nothing like what I had dreamt of years before.  That relationship ended.

I was in school at the time, first term and not knowing anyone, and was full into my Goth phase, complete with black trenchcoat and all.  There was a guy who I'd glimpse every once in a while that caught my eye.  He had this amazing red hair, well what was left of it on the top as he had shaved the sides of his head.  He wore this black jacket and Dr. Martens boots with the pant legs tucked in.  He'd wheel around school in his clip on sunglasses and I thought he was the coolest thing!  After all he had to be, he had a Deceptacon sticker on the back of his car!

I found out later that he was in his last term, (what's with me and seniors???), but he was in a first term course because he never took it and needed the credit to graduate.  I started off stealing glances here and there at him, but I was too shy to actually strike up a conversation.  It took one of our teachers pairing us together on an assignment for us to actually start talking.

So what does this have to do with my dream?

Well, weeks later, the red hair dye had worn out to show Mike's true hair color - brown.  This was around the same time he told me about his parent's boat anchored at a marina in Northern Ontario.

Then it hit me, the dreams came flooding back.  Somehow the Universe knew what I needed and sent him to me.  We've been together ever since.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful story! Thanks so much for sharing, and for your VERY kind shout-out!

    To your happiness,

    Karen

    ReplyDelete