About Us

Sunday, August 1, 2010

You are without a doubt the worst pirate I’ve ever heard of...

Yes, I am, its true.

Yesterday, Mike and a friend of ours went to the Pirate Festival held at the local campground. Now, to preface this, I have visited a couple Renaissance fairs in Florida when I used to live there back in my teenage days, (Gah saying teenage days, really??). In Ontario, I haven't seem the same level of enthusiasm of fairs, maybe because there isn't or maybe I haven't been looking hard enough. Mike and I attended one a number of years ago at the Botanical Gardens and left after about 30 minutes because it was that awful.

Fast forward to Saturday. On the way to the Festival, Mike and I joked that we wouldn't be staying very long. Um... yeah 6 hours later...

There was the various Piratey characters running around, some in well crafted costumes, some in homemade costumes and in between. Mike wore his Pirates of the Caribbean bowling shirt, I did not wear anything piratey. I intended to, really I did, but the shirts/pants I wore accentuated the wrong places. Girls know what I'm talking about, guys not so much. Mike says I looked fine and not to worry, but he's just saying that because I've trained him well over the past 10 years we've been together.

There was a handful of merchants selling the same sort of items you'd see for sale at a Ren Fair such as weapons, necklaces, leather roses, pet bats et al... there was also a Haunted House.

...

A Haunted House you say?

Yes! It was there to raise funds for the Milton District Hospital Foundation. A friend of ours and his Zombie compatriots were there to raise funds and to promote this year's Zombie walk. There were various draws held too. Just for the hell of it, we entered and we won a pretty awesome prize pack, which includes a night's stay at a supposedly haunted hotel. Very cool indeed!

All in all, it was a good day. I did get to see the Pickle man's pickle and partake in one of them, quite good. There was a picture taken, but it will never see the light of day!

The only low point in the day was the realization at the entrance that you could bring your dog! Had we known, we would have brought Gimli!

When we came home, I told Gimli about it and he made this face, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment